What’s Sheldon’s Contact Information?

City of Sheldon
416 9th Street
P.O. Box 276
Sheldon, IA  51201
Phone Number:  (712) 324-4651
Fax Number:  (712) 324-4601

I am moving to town.  Who do I contact for water, sewer, gas, electric, cable tv, telephone and internet service?

The City of Sheldon provides water, sewer and garbage for all residential customers.  Call (712) 324-4651 to sign up for these services.

MidAmerican Energy provides gas and electric service at (888) 427-5632.

Cable television is provided by Premier Communications at (800) 741-8351.

Telephone service providers in Sheldon include Centry Link at (800) 244-1111, Premier Communications  at (800) 741-8351, Iowa Telecom at (877) 901-4692, or Vonage (877) 418-8876.

Internet service providers include Evertek at (712) 834-2255; Century Link www.centurylink.com (800) 244-1111; NET Broadband (712) 834-2255; Premier Communications (800) 741-8351; Hughesnet https://www.allconnect.com/providers/hughesnet.com, www.EXEDE.com or https://www.viasat.com/  for satellite internet.

Direct TV also offers telephone, television, and internet.  Their link is AT&T and Directtv

Do I have to pay a deposit prior to getting water service to my property?

Before utility services are started, the City of Sheldon requires a $130.00 deposit to be paid, and an application to be filled out in person.  The individual signing the application must be eighteen years or older, and provide the following identifying information:  name, date of birth, residential or business address, SSN, U.S. government issued photo identification, and one other form of identification.

I am going away for the winter.  Does the City offer a “winter rate” for my utility bill?

The City does not offer a “winter rate”, but you do have two options.  The first is to leave your water on while you are gone and pay a minimum monthly bill and fill out a garbage discontinuation form (if you are gone for a minimum of 2 months).  This will waive the garbage charge on your bill.  The second option is to have the City of Sheldon Water Department shut off your water at the curb and pull the meter.  There is no cost to have your water shut off.  However, there is a $25.00 reconnection fee when the meter is installed.

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?
Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download [44.69 KB]

My recycling bin blew away in the strong wind.  How can I get another one?

If your bin blows away, go to the City Clerk’s office at 416 9th Street to obtain another one for $5.50.  Recycling bin lids are also available for $5.50.

What can be recycled and what can’t?

Plastics: The two basic varieties of plastic that are being recycled are clear and colored plastics. This includes milk jugs, dishwashing liquid bottles, laundry bottles, shampoo bottles, antifreeze jugs and any container that holds a liquid numbered 1-5. The separated plastic should be cleaned and rinsed as much as possible and have the lids and rings taken off.

Paper and Cardboard: Newsprint, computer, white ledger, brown paper shopping bags, glossy magazines, catalogs and phone books (1/2 inch or less), cereal, pop & beer boxes, shoe boxes, and corrugated cardboard are acceptable.  Please keep material dry and don’t put out for collection on rainy days.

Tin Cans: Any tin food container should be separated from the regular garbage. These containers should be rinsed and cleaned as much as possible.

Aluminum Containers: Pet food cans. Non-refundable aluminum cans. Rinse and clean out the containers.

What should I do with my recycling bin if I am moving out of town?

Leave your recycling bin at your house for the next owner’s use.

My City of Sheldon utility bill is higher than usual.  Do I have a water leak?

Water meters are read each month and amounts due vary monthly depending on usage.  One way to check for leaks yourself is checking your toilets.  Toilets can leak without making any noise and can run a lot of water through without you ever noticing it.  Put a few drops of food coloring in the tank of each of your toilets and wait 30-45 minutes.  If the coloring has come down into the bowl, you have a leak and need to have a plumber repair the tank at once to avoid higher usage.

Another way to check for leaks is to read your meter prior to going to bed at night.  Then do not use any water during the night and read your meter when you get up in the morning.  The meter reading should be the same.  If it has changed, you have water running somewhere and need a plumber to check it out.

Usage during the summer usually goes up as well, due to lawn and garden watering, washing cars and other miscellaneous activities performed throughout the season.  Usage will also go up if you have any extra persons in your household for a period of time.

I have water coming up through the drains in my basement.  What do I do?

During the City business hours of Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. contact the Street department at 324-3252.  After hours, contact 324-4444.

My dog/cat is missing.  How can I find out if it’s at the Sheldon Veterinary Clinic?

Contact the Sheldon Vet Clinic at 324-3014 to inquire about animals that have been brought in.  If your animal is there, a $50.00 fee needs to be paid at the City Clerk’s office prior to your animal being released.

What is the burning policy of the City of Sheldon?

There is no burning in the Sheldon city limits.  Leaves and grass clippings need to be taken to the leaf dump located in the back area of Hills Park, located on North 2nd Avenue.  There is no cost to take items to the leaf dump.

How do I get rid of junk?

The City of Sheldon has spring clean up days each year in late April and early May.  Please contact the City Clerk’s office at 324-4651 to inquire.  You can also contact the Northwest Iowa Landfill at 324-4026 to inquire about the cost to take things out there.

I am going to build a fence.  Do I need a building permit?

Yes, fences require a building permit, as does any other structure being built on your property.  Building permit applications can be obtained through this website or are also available at the City Clerk’s office.  Applications must be delivered to the City Clerk’s office once completed to be verified and have a building permit issued.

I am going to be digging in my yard.  Should I call someone first?

You should contact Iowa One Call 48 hours before you dig at (800) 292-8989.  As a free service to you, they will locate all power lines and buried cables.

Who do I call if I need to report a burned out streetlight?

Call MidAmerican Energy at (888) 427-5632 or by clicking here

Can I park my car on the street all night?

Parking is prohibited on any City street from November 1 through April 1, from 2:00 a.m. to 6 a.m.   Parking is prohibited all year long in areas with signage posted.

Where can I pay the parking ticket I received?

You can pay your parking tickets at the City Clerk’s office at 416 9th Street between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.  You can also pay by depositing your payment with the envelope in the utility deposit drop box located south of the Community Services Center main doors.

Where do I get my driver’s license or renew my license?

Driver’s License Schedule for Sioux County:
Monday–Sioux County Treasurer’s Office, Orange City, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.  712-737-8430
Tuesday–Centre Mall, Sioux Center, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 712-722-2923
Thursday–Centre Mall, Sioux Center 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 712-722-2923
Friday–Centre Mall, Sioux Center 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 712-722-2923
Doors are open until 4:30 p.m., however all transactions must be started before 4:00 pm.  There is no testing, Real ID issuance or Out of State transfers after 4:00 p.m.  CDL knowledge exams are from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and Operator knowledge exams are from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  All drive tests are done by appointment only.  They do not do CDL or Motorcycle drive tests.

You can also go to the O’Brien County Treasurer’s Office:
Drivers Licensing 8:00 to 4:00 Mon-Fri, written test prior to 3:30 p.m.
Drive test given Mon-Thur 8:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 1:30 -3:00 p.m., Fri 8:00 to 11:00 a.m.
Motorcycle drive test by appointment only on Wednesday 9:00 a.m. weather permitting.
CDL written test prior to 3:30 p.m.
CDL drive tests are not available.

What are the City of Sheldon park hours?

Park hours are from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

We want to rent the shelter house at the Park?

The open shelter houses at City Park and Hills Park are on a first come, first serve basis.  The enclosed shelter house at City Park may be rented by contacting the City Clerk’s Office at 324-4651 or by reserving online at https://apm.activecommunities.com/cityofsheldon

We want to camp at Hills Park.  Can we make reservations?

The City of Sheldon does not take reservations for camping at Hills Park.  This is a first come first serve basis.  The fee for campers is $15.00 per night and $10.00 per night for tents.  Hills Park has bathhouse facilities, a playground complex, and 26 campsites with full water and electricity hook-ups.

We want to rent a meeting room in the Community Services Center.  Who do we contact?

Reservations can be made for meeting rooms in the Community Services Center by calling the City Clerk’s Office at 324-4651 or by reserving online at https://apm.activecommunities.com/cityofsheldon.  We allow reservations one year in advance, with special exceptions for weddings.